Thursday, January 12, 2012

Siren Song by Margaret Atwood

Text:

This is the one song everyone
would like to learn: the song
that is irresistible:
the song that forces men
to leap overboard in squadrons
even though they see the beached skulls
the song nobody knows
because anyone who has heard it
is dead, and the others can't remember
Shall I tell you the secret
and if I do, will you get me
out of this bird suit?
I don't enjoy it here
squatting on this island
looking picturesque and mythical
with these two feathery maniacs,
I don't enjoy singing
this trio, fatal and valuable.
I will tell the secret to you,
to you, only to you.
Come closer. This song
is a cry for help: Help me!
Only you, only you can,
you are unique

At last. Alas
it is a boring song
but it works every time.

Initial Response:
            When reading “Siren Song” I believed that the poem would solely be how the siren, a Greek mythical creature who sings in order to lure men and kill them, feasted upon so many lives, but instead the story focused on her emotions. She includes how she wishes to leave, and how guilty she feels when luring in men.





Paraphrase:

This is the only song everyone
would like to learn; the song
that is irresistible;
the song that forces men
to leap off their boats
even though they see their own death
the song nobody knows
because anyone who has heard the song
is dead, and the others can't recall the words
Shall I tell you the secret
and if I do, will you get me
out of this situation?
I dislike being here
restlessly waiting on this island
 looking beautiful and mystical
with my two feathery wings,
I don't enjoy singing
this song, fatal and grave.
I will tell the secret to you,
to you, only to you.
Come closer. This song
is me crying for help: Come help me!
Only you, only you can,
you are the only special one

Finally. Alas
this is such a boring song
but it works every time.

SWIFTT
    {SW}SYNTAX/ Word Choice:
              The poem uses simple, colloquial language to convey the deception of the siren. For example,
Shall I tell you the secret and if I do, will you get me out of this bird suit” seems like simple talk, however in reality, the siren is trying to lure the sailor so that she can kill the sailor. The siren also uses seductive terms such as, ““irresistible,” and “picturesque,” to lure the sailor. The first two stanzas portray the siren’s emotion over her deeds, and how easily she is able to persuade men to come closer. The syntax of diction is evident in the lines “I will tell the secret to you, to you, only to you.” In this line, it is evident to the reader that the siren is trying to lure in the man through intriguing him with this “secret.”
     {I}Imagery:
              In this poem, there are two levels of imagery. One level is the imagery of the siren herself, displayed in lines, “looking picturesque and mythical/with these two feathery maniacs,” which proves why men are so easily lured toward this beautiful and mystical creature. The second level is the story itself. Throughout the poem, the reader can envision the man slowly getting closer and closer to the siren, and in the last line, “Alas it is a boring song, but it works every time,” the lured man’s life has ended. Additionally, the imagery of the bird is evident in the lines, “bird suit” and “feathery maniacs.”
     {F}Figurative Language:
              The poem contains allusions and metaphors. The poem alludes to the Sire, which are Greek mythical creatures. The Siren’s song is a metaphor for deceptive beauty, as the siren is trying to lure the sailor.  
     {T}Tone:
               The tone is very manipulative, as the Siren is attempting to lure the man closer, so she can kill him. 
Lines like “I will tell the secret to you” make the sirens purpose evident.
     {T}Theme:
                The theme of “Siren Song” is the deception a manipulative power the Siren possessed. Using her beauty and her ability to sing, the siren would feast upon those sailors who were captivated by the siren.
      
Conclusion:
                 After analyzing the poem, my initial response was somewhat, but not fully, correct. Instead of telling us the verses of the poem, the poem focused around how the Siren’s song was actually a deceptive trap to lure helpless sailors. The cleverest part of the siren was how no one was able to figure out why the siren is so dangerous, because once the sailors realize what’s happening, they are already dead. Although the siren has immense beauty and singing abilities, she appeals to the sailors even more when she pleads for help

No comments:

Post a Comment